10 Best Rain Ponchos for Winter
Today I want to talk about the Best Rain Ponchos that can be used in winter. These ponchos are not your ordinary 1-use throw away poncho, but rather something that has value and can be used for more than one winter.
How many times have you left home and it just literally bucketed down, like the heavens have cast a dark cloud over your head! However, you've left home while taking little baggage with you (including your umbrella) and now you're forced to buy a nasty cheap poncho that's about $1.
When you're done, throw it away and hopefully it doesn't rain again right?! Imagine doing this more than 30 times in your lifetime, well you've just paid for a more fashionable re-usable rain poncho!
So here I am to help you decide what is the best rain poncho for you with my ultimate rain poncho guide for beginners.
Don't Forget to Share and Save this Pin for Later
What is a Rain Poncho?
Rain ponchos are sleeveless articles of clothing with open sides and a space for the head to pass through made out of waterproof materials.
It is an outer garment designed to keep the body warm and dry from rainy weather from every angle and it can also be used to keep the wind at bay whilst warming your body acting as an insulator.
Ponchos are exceptionally useful to have in your wardrobe and come in a disposable form so it is vital that you need to keep a few as part of your survival kit; especially when hiking.
If you don't have a poncho handy you could find yourself in a tricky pickle.
Ponchos are great for borrowing from friends or family if you need to go for a hike and could save your life!
Find out more below for how to use the poncho as a shelter when in the bushes!
Related Article: 3 Days in Bangkok
What are the Best Rain Ponchos made of?
Rain Ponchos are made from watertight materials usually PVC and other similar waterproof materials.
The material is designed to thermally insulate the body in the event of wet, cold and rainy weather conditions.
Ponchos usually come in a wide variety of colours and printed patterns so making this a fashion statement is no exception to the norm.
A poncho can also be used as a shelter with branches used as structural support. It therefore can be used when hiking to shelter under.
Are rain Ponchos reusable?
Rain ponchos are a fantastic addition to every family's repertoire and is remarkably economic to purchase and own, simply put it is the must have item of this millennium's winter.
They also come in the option of either as disposable or re-useable wardrobe options. Disposable ponchos are great for one off events such as concerts and also add a nice colour to the style of your group!
The disposable ones are usually a cheaper option compared to a standard production one. The quality of the disposable ones are usually a lower grade for they are intended for a limited use.
Are there rain Ponchos for toddlers and dogs?
Great news! Don't you just love it when there is that perfect accessory that matches you and your dog or toddler.
There are the best rain ponchos available for toddlers and dogs that are super cute and adorable!
Ponchos for toddlers and dogs are the perfect companion when being battered by the rain and the whole family needs to take a trip somewhere.
Rain Poncho vs Jacket
- Ponchos are less expensive.
- Can additionally function as a shelter.
- Covers the entire upper body and can also encase your backpack.
- Has stylish designs
- Ventilation is great when wearing a poncho! Very breathable as it is not snugged to your body like a jacket.
- The disposable poncho is remarkably affordable on Amazon at only $5-$10. That's a steal a steal.
- Military grade heavy duty rain ponchos are available in the market place.
- Key feature of a poncho is the fact that it can cover your backpack. You will rarely find a jacket that does this.
- superior ventilation compared to a jacket.
- Ponchos are lightweight!
- Ideal for outdoor trekking through the bush. They can be used as a sheet to sit on when having a break on the ground.
- More chance that the water can get in on the sides.
Related Article: Essential Travel Items for Every Holiday
How can you store a rain poncho?
Rain ponchos are super simple to store, they can be self-storing if designed in that way where T\they would fold into themselves for easy storage.
Some ponchos come with a handy bag for storing your poncho.
Disposable vs Reusable
The Best Rain ponchos are fantastic and come in the option of either disposable or re-usable version.
Disposable ponchos are great for one off events where you would only need one for such events as concerts or Saturday Sports games.
They are also work well as a fashion statement in groups. There is a notable price and quality difference between disposable & re-usable ponchos.
Related Article: 10 Canvas Backpacks You Need
Here are the 10 Best Ponchos for Winter
"Everyone's perception of a product is different, so it's not always the best thing to let reviews influence your purchases.
That being said, I am very happy with this poncho and am glad I bought it.
I'm heading to Scotland in September, and past experience has taught me that there could be some intense rain while I am there."
"The purchase of this poncho was the result of a great deal of comparison in material,size and price.This is not another crappy plastic emergency poncho.
It is made of the same rip-stop material tents are made from very light and super tough.
Also quite versatile and fit over a backpack, due to its large size and thoughtful design.
I'm extremely happy with it, can't find a bad word to say."
"Delivery came as promised and the product kept us dry and held up well for the few rainy days we needed it while traveling.
We went with this product instead of a cheap dollar store one so it wouldn’t rip in two minutes.
All around us, people were trying to put on their cheap ponchos which would tear like Saran Wrap. This poncho was sturdy and effective."
"This poncho is not very loud, very pliable, held up great in heavy rain with no leaks through the fabric, very light to carry for the just in case storm.
What I like best is the size. I am 5'10", 170lbs, and during down poor poncho covered me with a small to med size day pack on my back, and bow at side while reaching down to ankles.
Legs stayed dry. When I sat, everything including feet were covered. Bow stayed dry. The best coverage I have ever had in a poncho.
Buy it. You won't regret it. Camo pattern also was surprisingly very good. My buddy said it blended in well. Probably going to buy another for back up as usually when i find something this good at a great price they sell out and become not available."
"We put them on when the rains began, and stayed comfortable as we continued to enjoy rides and other activities at the Magic Kingdom. To purchase these in the gift shops, they were $5 - $7 each.
These ponchos were perfect: easy/light to carry in a backpack; easy to put on quickly; did a great job of keeping us dry; the hoods were perfect size and worked great.
Will be purchasing more for other trips where they may be needed."
"Used on a backpacking hike on the Superior Hiking Trail during wet weather, and it performed wonderfully. It kept me and my pack dry, without weighing me down.
When the rain stopped while hiking, it was small enough when rolled up that I just tucked it under my pack's sternum strap rather than having to open up my pack.
There is less condensation inside this poncho than I've had when using plastic ponchos in the past, and it weighs less than one-fourth what my military-style poncho weighs."
"This is a great buy for anyone, especially those who go hiking, camping, roadtripping, etc.
I bought this poncho thinking it would be a good backup during my travel adventures and, within a week of purchasing it, I rigged it as a cover for a small tent.
When I went camping in the desert (thus not planning on too much rain) and I was caught a little off guard by the 18 hours of almost steady rain during my trip.
My tent was not the best for a rainy evening and I was able to use this poncho for a great rain cover for the tent (small 2 person tent).
Turns out it was the most valuable equipment I had packed for the trip! I camp about once a month and this poncho is coming with me on every trip now.
For the price, I highly recommend!"
"Other than the size being more like L rather than XL, this is a nice-looking poncho that's very quick to put on and take off.
Rolling it into its pocket is very handy. Useful for emergencies and outdoor activities."
"Got this just in time for a weekend of rain! It is very stylish. It is light weight which is nice if it is warm outside so you don’t get to hot.
I got several compliments on the style with people wanting to know where I purchase this from."
"Bought these for my daughter who bikes to school, and sometimes we have rain.
This is a tradition started by my dad LOL and if I could make it through wearing a "stupid poncho" (my thoughts as a kid) to get to school fairly dry, then so can she! Good quality, seems like they hold up well.
I recently bought a few more packs of 2, because she conveniently "lost" the first one. (Insert eye roll here). These will get her through high school just fine."
So there you have the 10 Best Rain Ponchos reviewed in a nutshell.
The review covers everything you need to know before purchasing your next rain poncho for winter or any travel occasion.
If you liked this review about ponchos for winter or any outdoor adventure you're going on next and want to see another review. Then leave a comment below and we'll be happy to hear what you want reviewed.
- Bluehost is what I use for hosting Bottom Line Cents. I've been using them for about 2 years and don't have any down time or run time issues. Start Your Own Blog Tutorial is a good post to learn how to start your own blog and make money.
- My grammar when writing posts is sometimes shocking, because I write so fast and have no time to edit as I go. So before I hit publish, I check my grammar with Grammarly. The best part is grammarly is FREE!
- I use Get Response to collect all my email leads. It has helped me grow a dedicated so that I can get my latest articles out to my existing audience that have signed up to this. If you need decent and reliable (and cost effective) email marketing service that offers a 30 Day Free Trial then Get Response is your go to!
- For high quality responsive WordPress themes I recommend Studiopress. I've ran a couple of blogs using their themes and framework and they've been around for a long time and built a good reputation for building SEO Optimized Themes that are fast loading and responsive. I've reviewed some of thier themes here.
- If you're wanting to start ranking on google or getting featured in places like Forbes or similiar then the only SEO course I recommend is Stupid Simple SEO. I joined this course in 2019 and my google traffic has gotten traction and I've also been featured in places like Fundera Ledger.
- Tailwindapp is a tool I use to schedule Pinterest Pins and Instagram posts. They have a free trial which is free for an unlimited time, however you are limited to a certain amount of posts to schedule per day. If you need to schedule more than that you need to upgrade your account.
- Pretty Links helps me keep my links clean and helps making managing multiple affiliate links a breeze. Imagine having to replace every single link in all the post that contain an affiliate link for a product, two words - TIME CONSUMING.
- Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing is a course I recommend by Michelle from Making Sense of Cents. This course helped me make money from affiliate marketing.
- Pinterest Traffic Avalanche is another course I recommend. The course has helped me (and will help you) get free traffic from Pinterest Marketing. I shared my results here on how I gained over 300% traffic!
These are companies and courses/services I've personally vetted and recommend.