What is Shopify Basic Plan? The Perfect Plan for Beginners
Today I will talk about the Shopify Basic Plan and what it can do for you and your needs!
However, you're at a cross roads and don't know which plan is perfect for you.
So, I am here to bridge that gap for you and will talk about the main features of the basic plan which include the following;
- Basic Plan Summary;
- Amount of Product Listings;
- Staff Accounts;
- Sales Channels;
- Discount Codes;
Let's start by busting the first myth! Shopify Lite and Shopify Basic are not the same thing.
Yep, although one is cheaper, they are completely different. With that out the way lets get into this.
this page contains affiliate links. see my disclaimer. thanks for reading!
A Quick Summary on Shopify
Shopify is a complete eCommerce solution that allows you to create and develop your very own online eCommerce store in which you can promote, sell and ship digital and physical products.
For many merchants and store owners Shopify can be considered an excellent choice, although it's not 100% perfect it integrates with brick and mortar stores in an exceptional manner.
How I began with Shopify
Before I started Bottom Line Cents, I was an avid Shopify fanatic. I was simply importing products from overseas without holding any inventory.
Why I Use Shopify
If you’re looking to start an eCommerce store that is hosted on a reliable platform, then choosing Shopify for your eCommerce needs may be the answer. Shopify is an excellent choice for an eCommerce platform and I personally have had a great experience with them.
Ecommerce has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me. As you can tell from my previous Shopify stores, I have made over $100,000 from running a successful ecommerce store in 2017 alone.
I am able to work from home, I can travel whenever I want and my schedule has become more flexible than when I was constricted to a 9-5 day job.
Shopify is one of the top eCommerce platforms in 2019 and you can start your own shopify store with my complimentary 14-day free trial.
Shopify Basic Plan Overview
Let's start with the most basic thing of all, the cost! Shopify lite will set you back at $9 a month, however the features are really limited compared to the basic.
The main let down of the Lite version is you're not allowed more than one staff account, you have no phone support to resolve problems and you can't create an online store.
What!? How do you sell with the lite plan? Well, you add buy buttons on your pre existing blog.
So that's it in a nutshell of the Lite version.
Now onto the Basic Shopify Plan, which you can create your very own online store on the basic plan.
The Basic plan is perfect for beginners that want to start an online store and want to sell products. This plan will start at an affordable monthly cost of $29 (or the price of a $1 cup of coffee daily)
Amount of Product Listings
There are plenty of ecommerce platforms that will limit your product count, or even charge you per product listing.
With Shopify Basic Plan, you can upload as much products as you want with know additional fees or charges.
Limited product counts can cap your business before you even get off the ground. Imagine having a physical store that sold 10 products, seems ridiculous right?
You can organize your products into collections and categories, so you can create quite a broad store selling a variety of products.
Related Article: Ultimate Weebly or Shopify Review
This plan allows you to have two staff accounts, which means you can have two extra people help out. No, it does not include you as you are the store operator.
Having staff will allow you to delegate tasks such as product listing, customer email replies and much more.
It will give you the freedom to truly be a manager that makes sure the store runs as smooth as possible.
The best part is you can limit staff to either have full control over the store, or to just be able to look at orders.
Don't just sell to your customers on your online store. If you have a large social media presence, you can link your Facebook page or the like and start selling there.
Integrate channels such as Facebook, Amazon, Pinterest and Facebook Messenger to take full advantage and maximize sales wherever possible.
There is no need to upload the products to different sales channels as Shopify will do this automatically for you.
Within the Shopify admin panel you can create multiple discount codes for your new or existing customers.
Say for example you want to give a 40% Black Friday Sale or 20% New Years Sale, you can do this quite simply.
In the admin panel, simply create a code such as BLACKFRIDAY40 or NEWYEAR20 and email this code to customers.
The code is applied by your customers at checkout and they will automatically get the discount.
Discounts can be set to be used once only by one email or have a certain expiry date.
Having a certain expiry date really pushes customers to buy something urgently.
Summary of Shopify Basic Plan
That concludes my article on what is the basic Shopify plan. Key things to take away from this article are;
- That it cost's less than $1 a day to join the Basic plan (Charged Monthly)
- You can have your very own online store front;
- Connect multiple sales social channels to improve revenue;
- Create as much inticing discounts for customers;
In a nutshell, the basic plan is what you need to get started with shopify. When you get the hang of it and your sales are going through the roof. Then I recommend removing the training wheels and upgrading to the regular or advance plan.
If you have any comments or questions feel free to pop them in the comments below, would be happy to share my thoughts.
Important eCommerce Resources
- Shopify is my most recommended eCommerce platform over WooCommerce. If you're thinking of selling things online like t-shirt or print on demand merch, then check out this tutorial.
- I use Dropified for all my Shopify dropshipping stores! Although Oberlo is free, I've never really enjoyed it because it does not automatically fulfill the order. Dropified automatically fulfills the order once the tracking becomes live on Aliexpress (stops customers emailing you if the tracking is not live). Dropified have a free 14-day trial.
- Sweet Upsell is a cost effective tool for improving your average order value by offering limited time discounts to certain products after your customers make a purchase. Improving your average order value is a great way for increasing profits and reducing advertising costs.
- My most recommended dropshipping Shopify theme I use for all my eCommerce stores is Booster Theme. It comes with all the necessary apps (except fulfillment) that will save you at least $89/month. Check out my review of Booster Theme Here.
- If booster theme is out of your price range then I recommend getting Debutify, which starts at a free plan with limited features and then moving onto a tiered monthly plan unlocking certain add on features in different tiers. Check out Debufity here.
- Canva is another great tool I use for creating high engaging Facebook Ad thumbnails and also for creating Print on Demand designs such as t-shirts, mugs or anything else print on demand. They have tonnes of free graphics, vectors, fonts and images under their premium plans.
- Pexda is a product research tool I use when I'm feeling a bit lazy and I want to find Dropshipping products to test without doing any of your own product research. They find the top trending products that are trending and their Ultimate Plan gives you suggestions for products that haven't really been advertised yet.
These are courses/products I have personally vetted and recommend.